Sunday, June 12, 2011

Hiawatha Trail




We had an amazing family adventure this Saturday. Thanks to Craig's dad, we rode the Hiawatha trail. I'm so glad Robert wanted to go because it forced us to do it. Otherwise, I know we never would have gotten around to it. Going on this bike ride was a great family experience where we did something challenging and succeeded together....what a great feeling. This is the entrance to the trail looking from the parking lot. Everyone is getting their gear on while Breck just waits.

Here is a link to the Hiawatha trail http://www.skilookout.com/hiawatha/

In a nutshell it was a train route built in the early 1900's in the Bitterroot Mountains, and now it is a used as bike path. We rode our bikes for 15 miles through 9 tunnels and over 7 high steel trestles. The longest tunnel was 1.7 miles. In fact we had to go through that twice because once we made it to the end a shuttle bus drove us back up to the top, and we had to go back through the long DARK tunnel to get back to the parking lot area. So really we biked over 16 miles. I must say that tunnel was intense! It seemed to go on FOREVER! Luckily, most of the other tunnels were short, and we could see the end as soon as you entered.

This is a picture of the end of the LONG DARK tunnel.



We were so proud of Gavin. He just started riding his bike without training wheels last month. He made it the whole way. In fact, when we got home he was riding his bike around the driveway. I pulled Breck in the bike trailer-who fell asleep for the last 2 miles. I was so proud of myself for making it. I am not a biker. I'm more of an aerobics class kind of girl. I mean sure I can hold some 5 lbs weights and do squats, but what an amazing feeling to ride a bike for 2 hours and not have sore thighs the next day!




We did have one mishap. Robert's bike pedal came off about 2 miles from the end. Craig had to 'tow' him the rest of the way down to the bus, and then through the 1.7 mile dark tunnel. What an amazing husband!!! Plus I must say I'm grateful he listens to the promptings of the Spirit. We had to stop by a store to buy a little flashlight to tape to my bike helmet before we left (we were one light short). Craig felt impressed to buy 2 so he did. As it turned out while we were unloading our bikes we discovered that Hudson did not have his headlamp, and there were no rentals near the entrance of the route where we were. So Craig attached the extra one he bought onto the helmet....crisis diverted.



So if you live in this area I recommend going on this trail....it is gorgeous and a great outdoor experience!










We tried to take a picture of all the mud that flung up and splattered on our backs!

No comments: